Tuesday 16 December 2008

*CLICK* II

Stalking is a strange thing. The term isn't as 'tightly' defined as you'd think. When i first think stalking, I think-the guy who killed Lennon (watch Chapter 24- the most boring, creepy movie that you'll ever watch) or the kind of people who are obsessed with movie stars. But that's so totally wrong. We're all a bit stalker-ish aren't we? And more often than not we end up thinking its pretty normal or even adventurous.

Facebook, for instance. It's a veritable stalker paradise. Especially if you're in the habit of adding people you don't know. I have often been pulled into a mad session of perusing through a friend's entire album simply because my right index finger attained a mind of its own and started clicking precisely every seven and a half seconds (the time it takes for a photo to load on my slow-ass computer). This one time i happened to turn my head to the right (to stretch out a kink) and caught my expression in one of the four mirrors in my room. (another time, another story). It was a mixture of vacuousness and extreme concentration. I reached up to touch the corner of my mouth actually, very seriously expecting drool to be there. After this horrendous revelatory moment in my young adult life I decided that I would keep my photo watching to a maximum of 5 per album and one album per day. And trust me, it helped.

When you photo watch you tend to commit wholly to the most fatal flaw of humankind. You COMPARE.

Drawing comparisons is like trying to run underwater. You're always up against a wall you can't climb over and its doubly tiring. There's always a better trip, a better idea, a better angle, a better party, a better set of friends or just a gosh darned better camera.

You end up feeling lousy most of the time and extend the validity on your period of feeling "sucky" (aren't i just the chirpiest bird in the bunch?!)

Though it does have its benefits, who're we kidding!? They're all bloody superficial!
And on that cheery note...I'm off to face...er study! ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, if you listen closely to Come Together, it sounds like Lennon's saying "Shoot me", but it's vaairy faint.

Wickedcookie said...

It doesn't sound like it..That is what he is saying. :)

Rebecca said...

Oh, i like your style, and you have a good point, the whole Facebook thing has gone a bit too far. I am currently trying to stay away.
I saw your comment on a very old blog entry today, sorry i didn't saw it sooner! Thanks for the nice words, i really enjoyed your blog too. There are so many good writers out there, i wish all of them could publish books for me to read.

I have the biggest writers block EVER currently, it's like my brain just collapsed after i finished writing my first book.. I am desperately trying to start the next one, but everything i write is rubbish at the moment. You will see what i mean if you read my latest blog entries.

Anyway, merry christmas and thank you for commenting^^

R.

Nerdy Cyberchick said...

I'm a flagrant Facebook comparison addict. Pretty soon they will have to have social networking rehab.

Wickedcookie said...

@Rebecca
You're welcome! I really did enjoy reading your blog! :) and thanks for reading mine..
I TOTALLY relate to the writer's block thing. Its become utterly disgusting the way i have to force myself to write at times! Best of luck with that! I'm sure you'll come through with er..LOTS of great material! (as you have in the past)

@Tess
I think they already do! Lets sign up shall we? :D

Anonymous said...

ok shar... i just got 'initiated' intot he whole facebook thingy and i'm seriously having second thoughts nw... {:)